Art Pottery, Politics and Food
Wednesday, March 19, 2003
 
I struck up an email conversation last week with a fellow selling this large and beautiful Rookwood Vellum Scenic Plaque epplyplaque (2).bmp on Ebay.
I have discussed, in previous posts, the continued strength of the Art Pottery market in this struggling economy.
This vibrant 9 1/2" X 12 1/2" ceramic plaque, possibly with its original gesso and gilt frame, painted in 1916 by Lorinda Epply hammered at $7,800 in spirited bidding by 21 bidders including some pottery world biggies Monday afternoon. At almost $8K this was still an Ebay deal for the lucky buyer as I feel it could have easily sold at the upcoming spring Cincinnati auctions for over $10K.
The seller, Kurt Harrison says, "I dabble in this for fun and have collected a lot of things over the past few years. I keep them to enjoy them and when I find something else that I like I usually sell something to purchase something else..." Sound familiar? Kurt has considered opening an antiques store when he retires and is interested in pottery, Lalique and books. He seems to have quite the eye and I'm sure will do quite well with whatever he does in the future. Kurt relayed a terrific story of a type occasionally heard among the hard core estate sale crowd. A friend of his bought an unopened box lot at a yard sale for $5. Inside was a Rookwood plaque. The buyer did not realize the plaque's value until an honest auctioneer informed him. The plaque sold at auction for $7,000! Amazing but true!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger