Art Pottery, Politics and Food
Thursday, October 19, 2006
 
End Times Sign?
Right Spookie, Mate!



From a DIVE magazine report:

A stingray flew aboard his dinghy and embedded its barb in his chest…the 1.5m-long ray breached the surface and stabbed his chest, according to US officials reports…reminiscent of the fatal stingray attack on Australian naturalist, Steve Irwin, last month.


The Devil Made 'Em Do It!


Why it seems it was only yesterday when I posted about “contextually visible” racism employed by the Rethuglicans.
Well, er um…(cough!)
It was yesterday.
I only wish I’d Googled this item which appeared in the New York Sun two days ago when I was writing yesterday’s post.
It seems the Republican Party has produced their own radio versions of what Karl Rove and Ken Mehlman imagine to be common black vernacular to air with a classic attempted fear-monger for broadcast in select markets over the next few weeks.
Here are two scripts:

Abortion
1st Man
--If you make a little mistake with one of your ‘hos,' you'll want to dispose of that problem tout suite, no questions asked.
2nd Man--That's too cold. I don't snuff my own seed.
1st Man--Maybe you do have a reason to vote Republican.

Democrats Are Racists
Throaty GOP Doom Announcer--I can understand why a Ku Klux Klan cracker like David Duke makes nice with the terrorists. What I want to know is why so many of the Democrat politicians I helped elect are on the same side of the Iraq war as David Duke.

Unbelievable!!!
I mean this really leaves me speechless!
President Clinton, still the most eloquent nearly invisible man on the public stage, was afforded only 6 minutes of airtime on one low-rated cable net yesterday afternoon but in that 6 minutes he made more honest sense than any of Dubya’s near daily 70 minute multi-net simulcasts of thematic gibberish.
Thanks to Crooks and Liars, where one can find the video and a full transcript, here’s what the 42nd President was saying before MSNBC turned the sound off and “discussed” the still speaking President with two “experts” for a few minutes before joining a lengthy Wesley Snipes discussion:

If you got an ideology, you already got your mind made up; you know all the answers. And, that makes evidence irrelevant and argument a waste of time. So, you tend to govern by assertion and attack. The problem with that is that discourages thinking and gives you bad results…so when an inconvenient fact crops up, you have to be in denial. It has to be a less significant fact…Ideologues, within the current government refer to people, not just like me, although I am included, but even moderate Republicans…as somehow lesser political mortals, because we are trapped in, quote ‘The Reality-Based World.'"

(LAUGHTER FROM AUDIENCE)


What they mean by that, in fairness to them, what they mean by that is that we are an empire; we're the world's only military superpower, and that you can use power to change reality. And if you don't see that, then you'll always be condemning your country to a lesser status. I, uh, when I was a kid, I grew up in an alcoholic home, I spent half my childhood trying to get into the ‘reality-based world' and I like it here."


(HUGE APPLAUSE AND LAUGHTER FROM AUDIENCE.)
(MSNBC eliminates the audio track at this point)


NOTE
I want to assure readers that I mean nothing negative with my use of the iconic images of Flip Wilson and Richard Roundtree within this post.
I sort of imagined these Rove/Mehlman-directed scripts to be delivered in keeping with a goonie white man’s idiomatic memory of certain 1970 era television programs rather than with ruthless racism and attempted vote suppression.
I know Flip is still controversial but my memories are fond…

Modified Images: BBC, BobbyDarin.net, CIMMS.ou.edu, FilmPosters.com, TVparty.com
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger